Friday, June 1, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

In the weeks following Christmas and Easter it seems I'm always looking for good ways to use up ham thanks to Rob's propensity to buy excessively large quantities of meat for the holidays. This past year I decided to give Eating Well's "Soup Beans" recipe a try. Considering it cost less than $3 (not counting the cost of the leftover ham) it was a steal. We have made it several times since and have our own minor variation. It freezes well and is very filling!

The first time I made this, I was reminded of my sister since ham and bean soup was her favorite as a child. The whole house filled with a comforting, nostalgic smell. I could literally smell it on the top floor and in the basement (in a really good way!). We couldn't wait to serve up a bowl! I even made this recently in a slow cooker and put it in the basement to simmer all day due to the summer heat. I still smelled it while rocking the baby in her room...crazy! That's a great comfort food :)

We serve ours with garlic and cheese croutons crushed on top or with a slice of crusty french bread. Perfect meal for a cool day!

Click HERE or head over to the recipe tab for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment